Summerville expects rapid growth in office buildings and commercial space in the coming years. The latest analysis from Colliers International Research and Forecast Report states there are several key factors that make the area ripe for growth in office space:
- The Summerville submarket has an established residential growth market.
- The large supply of available residential land in highly sought-after public school districts.
- The area already has 2.5 million square feet of office space entitled around the US 17 and Sheep Island/ Nexton Parkway interchanges.
- There are many new and established manufacturers, warehouse spaces, and retail employers located in Summerville.
Summerville’s three zip codes plus Moncks Corner represent 22% of the metropolitan area’s population. This makes it an ideal location for office space. In the last seven years, the number of people living in these three zip codes has increased by 30,235 or 4,319 people per year. The majority of new residential growth has occurred in the two southernmost zip codes 29483 and 29485.
Rapid Growth is Shifting
The expected shift of growth to the 29486 zip code is due to three factors:
- The new Cane Bay High School will attract a growing population
- Improved and expanded roadways enable better access to the area.
- Tens of thousands of single-family lots are available within master-planned communities with basic road and utility infrastructure in place.
Summerville has a large number of employers already established, which will help attract other employers to the submarket. These employers include Comcast, Mercedes-Daimler, Roper St. Francis, and Boeing’s aircraft interior facility in the Palmetto Commerce Park. Volvo is building a manufacturing plant near Ridgeville, and Google, Santee Cooper and Century Aluminum are located north in Goose Creek and Moncks Corner. There is also 3.5 million square feet of retail space in the region, establishing Summerville as a great place to invest and do business. There is an abundance of office space entitled in this submarket (2.5 million square feet of office space). The Nexton community already has two office buildings with plans for an additional 156,000 square feet by 2019. Office growth should accelerate with the completion of the Sheep Island interchange and the development of the Nexton Town Center.
Source: Collier International Research & Forecast Report, Q2 2017 “Summerville Office Submarket Awakens,” by Ron Anderson
Trust Carolina Services Inc
When it’s time to build, renovate, or upfit your commercial space, call Carolina Services Inc. We are Charleston’s premier commercial space planning and improvement company. Contact CSI to see how we can help design, manage and implement innovative and cost-effective solutions for your commercial space.